Prep time: 30 mins – Cook time: 2.5 hrs – Serves: 4
- 1 lb bone-in, skinless chicken or goat meat
- ½ packet (4 tbsp) Bohra Pantry Biryani Masala
- 3 cups of par boiled basmati rice
- 2-3 medium potatoes
- 3-4 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 1 cup crisp fried onions
- 4-5 green chilies
- 6 cloves of garlic (optional)
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Bohra Pantry Garam Masala
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 – 5 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 8-10 whole black peppercorns
- 8-10 strands of saffron, soaked in warm water/milk
- ½ cup oil
- 2 tbsp butter/ghee (clarified butter)
- ½ cup beaten plain yogurt
- Salt (to taste)
- Marinate meat in ginger garlic paste, ¼ cup beaten yogurt, 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp Biryani Masala for at least 1 hr.
- Cut potatoes into cubes. Mix them with ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp red chili powder and fry in oil until golden brown.
- Heat oil on medium heat, add cumin seeds and onions.
- Once the onion browns, add bay leaves, whole black peppercorns, cloves, chopped green chilies and garlic. Let it cook for 3 mins.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes, turmeric, remaining biryani masala, red chili powder, garam masala, mint and cilantro leaves. Let it cook until the fat separates from the mixture.
- Then add meat, yogurt, fried onions, potatoes and one cup water, salt as per taste and mix well. Let it cook until meat is tender and not too dry.
- In another pot, grease the bottom with 1 tbsp butter or ghee and add a very thin layer of rice.
- Next, layer the meat and potatoes mixture and cover this with the remaining rice.
- Sprinkle the top of the rice with saffron, some crushed onions and 1 tbsp of butter/ghee.
- Cover with lid and let it cook on very low heat for 20 mins.
- Serve with Raita or a tomato, onion and cilantro relish.