Prep time: 20 mins – Cook time: 1 hr – Serves: 6
- 2 cups black gram or chana
- 2 boiled and cubed potatoes
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3-4 green chilies, chopped
- 3-4 tbsp gram flour
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp tamarind chutney
- 6 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup fresh chopped cilantro leaves
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Soak black gram or chana overnight.
- Next day, boil them until soft. Keep stock aside.
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes and cut into small cubes.
- In a pan, heat oil on medium and add the cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Then add the onion, cook until it starts to brown.
- Add green chilies, garlic, curry leaves, turmeric, coriander, cumin and red chili powder and most of the chopped cilantro. Fry for 2 mins.
- Reduce heat to low and add the gram flour and cook for a minute.
- Add black gram or chana and let it fry for a minute.
- Then add the tamarind chutney, potatoes and reserved stock and cook till it boils.
- Serve hot. Garnished with cilantro and lemon wedges.