Prep time: 15 minutes – Cook time: 4-6 hours – Serves: 4
- 2 lbs lamb/goat/chicken meat
- 1 ¾ cup beaten wheat or barley
- ½ cup split yellow gram
- ½ packet (4 tbsp) Bohra Pantry Khichda Masala
- 12 cups water
- 2 ½ tsp ginger paste
- 4 tsp garlic paste
- 4-5 green chilies, chopped
- 1 ½ cups oil/ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 tbsp Bohra Pantry Garam Masala
- 3-4 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- 1 lb crisp fried onions
- Salt (to taste)
- Chopped fresh mint leaves for garnish
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- In a large pot soak the wheat/barley and split gram, keep overnight.
- Mix the meat, 2 cups of water, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp ginger paste, 1 tsp garlic paste, 1 chopped green chili, cloves, cinnamon, peppercorns and 2 tbsp Khichda Masala and boil on medium heat until the meat is cooked.
- Then add to the wheat/barley, split gram, 10 cups water, half cup the oil/ghee, green chilies, 1 tbsp garam masala, remaining ginger paste, garlic paste and khichda masala. Cover with a heavy lid. Once it boils on high flame, reduce to low heat and let it cook for about 2.5-3 hrs. Stir occasionally.
- When the Khichda is cooked, mash it using a hand blender.
- Once the meat is cooked, transfer all the contents to the Khichda pot and mix and let it cook for another 10 mins on low heat. Also add ½ cup ghee to the mixture.
- Garnish the when serving with mint leaves, fried onion, sprinkled garam masala and topped with hot ghee.