Prep time: 30 mins – Cook time: 1 hr – Serves: 4
- 2 cups of par boiled basmati rice
- 1 cup boiled masoor dal/brown lentil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup crisp fried onions
- 1 tsp Bohra Pantry Garam Masala
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 green chilies, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- ½ cup oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup beaten plain yogurt
- ½ cup water
- Salt (to taste)
- Par boil rice in 6 cups of water. Drain and keep aside.
- Boil the lentils in about 6-7 cups of water with 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp oil. Separate the lentil stock from the boiled lentils. The lentil stock can be used to make Sarki.
- Heat oil on medium heat and add onions. Fry until golden brown.
- Once the onion browns, add ginger garlic paste, chopped tomatoes and green chilies. Cook for 3 mins.
- Now add the turmeric, red chili powder, cumin and coriander powder, garam masala, chopped cilantro, ¼ cup water and cook till the fat starts to separate from the mixture.
- Then add the boiled lentils, yogurt, half of the fried onions and salt and mix well.
- In another pot, grease the bottom with 1 tbsp butter and add a very thin layer of rice.
- Next, layer the lentil mixture and cover this with the remaining rice.
- Sprinkle the top of the rice the fried onions and 2 tbsp butter. Also add ¼ cup water.
- Cover with lid tight and let it cook on very low heat for 30 mins.
- Serve hot with Sarki.