Prep time: 30 mins – Cook time: 10 mins – Serves: 4
- 2 cups mixed masoor dal/brown lentil stock
- ½ packet (4 tbsp) Bohra Pantry Sarki Masala
- 1/2 cup boiled and mashed lentils
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1-2 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- Black salt/Salt (to taste)
- Grated cucumber for garnish
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Boil the lentils in 8 cups of water with little salt and 1 tbsp oil. Separate the lentil stock from the boiled lentils.
- In a pot heat oil and fry the Sarki Masala for about 3 mins on low heat.
- Once it cools, add all ingredients, lentil stock, half cup boiled and mashed lentils (previously kept aside).
- Mix well and garnish with grated cucumber and/or mint leaves and cilantro.
- Serve cold or at room temperature with Masoor Pulao.
- You will not need all the lentils in the soup so you can use it for a masoor/lentil pilaf (click here for recipe).
- As an option, you can also do dhungar to infuse a charcoal smoky flavor in the Sarki. Once the fried masala cools in step 2, heat a small piece of charcoal on flame till it becomes smoking hot and red. Then place it in a small steel bowl in the same pan/pot the masala is in and drop 1 tsp of hot oil on it. Now shut the pot/pan tight and leave it in for about 3-5 mins (1 min if you don’t want a strong smoky flavor) before mixing all the other ingredients as per the recipes.