Prep time: 5 mins – Cook time: 40 mins – Serves: 10
- 1 cup (100 gms) thin vermicelli
- 7 cups whole milk
- 3 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 5-6 whole dry dates
- 5-6 sticky dates (khajoor)
- 2 tbsp charoli seeds (chironji)
- 2 tbsp raisins
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 10-12 strands of saffron
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup sugar or as per taste
- 2 tbsp condensed milk (optional)
- Sliced pistachios and almonds for garnish
- Soak saffron strands in 2 tbsp of warm milk.
- Chop dates and soak it in half cup of hot milk.
- In a pot, heat ghee on medium heat and roast the vermicelli till it turns golden brown. Add charoli when roasting.
- Next add 2 cups of hot water and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add milk, sugar, dates, cardamom powder, raisins and some of the almonds and pistachios. Mix well and cook for 20 mins.
- Finally add cream (and condensed milk) and saffron and cook for 5 more mins.
- Can be served hot, at room temperature or cold.
- Garnish with pistachios and almonds.