Prep time: 15 mins – Cook time: 60 mins – Serves: 6
- 2 lbs bone-in, skinless meat
- 1 packet Bohra Pantry Kaari Masala
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 3-4 anise flowers
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp ginger/garlic paste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3-4 whole green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 4 tbsp oil/ghee (clarified butter)
- Salt (to taste)
- Chopped cilantro for garnishing
- Clean the chicken, pat dry and keep aside. Please note the mutton will take longer to cook.
- In a large pot, boil the meat with the ginger garlic paste, cumin, coriander and red chili powder. Also add 3 tbsp of the Kaari Masala. Cook the meat until almost tender.
- In another pan heat the oil / ghee on medium heat. When heated, add the remaining Kaari Masala on low heat. To ensure the masala doesn’t burn, add a little water and keep stirring till the water evaporates.
- Add the cinnamon stick, anise stars, curry leaves and green chilies to the fried masala for about 2 mins.
- Then add this to the boiled meat along with the coconut milk, mix well and add salt to taste. Cover the pot and allow the curry to simmer for about 20 mins.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and lemon juice
- Serve with a warm naan or cumin rice.